Perfect Pitch Test – Do you have perfect (absolute) pitch?
Absolute pitch, or perfect pitch, is a rare ability found in less than 1 in 10,000 people. To have perfect pitch means to be able to identify a musical note without any reference to another note.
A person with perfect pitch is likely to be able to do at least one of the following:
- Identify individual pitches by name played on various instruments
- Name the key of a given piece of music
- Identify all the tones within a given chord
- Accurately sing a named pitch
- Name the pitches of common everyday sounds such as alarms, etc
Relative pitch is an ability to identify a given note by comparing it to a reference note and identify the interval between the two notes.
People with perfect pitch may frequently use the two skills of perfect pitch and relative pitch in combination.
If you have perfect or absolute pitch, you will easily be able to recognise the letter name of any note. Try this quiz to find out if you have perfect (absolute) pitch.